Before specialising in photography, Fiona studied both printmaking and contemporary art. It was during this time she started experimenting with alternative photographic processes, mainly cyanotype and gum bichromate. This eventually led to a BA(hons) in Photography from Edinburgh College of Art. Since graduating in 2017, she has gone on to exhibit at the Royal Scottish Academy as part of the New Contemporaries exhibition, and at Street Level Photoworks, where she was selected as a member of the New Photographers Guild. The majority of her work is shot on film, and not overly concerned with technical accuracies, preferring tactile qualities which evoke an emotional response.
Concerned with the memory and myths to be found within the landscape. Fiona adopts a level of interconnectedness in her image making, juxtaposing apparent opposites, or dualities. She constructs narratives with a transcendental approach, combining real, imagined, and metaphorical elements to reflect on both her own personal experience of place, and that of which has gone before.
First Class BA(Hons) Photography, Edinburgh College of Art, 2014-2017
HND Contemporary Art, Anniesland College, 2012-2014
HNC Creative Printmaking, City of Glasgow College, 2012-2011
New Photographers Guild selected member, 2017-2018.
New Contemporaries selected artist, 2017-2018
Global Justice Academy, Awarded single image winner, 2016
Craftex Award, 2014
Student Achievement Award, City of Glasgow College, 2011
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 'Elementary Blue Print' Stills, Edinburgh, 2020
- 'Everyday Delight' (stay at home edition) Shutter Hub, 2020
- 'RSA Annual Exhibition' Royal Scottish Academy,2020
- 'Elbow Room' New Photographers Guild in association with Street Level Photoworks, Trongate 103, Glasgow, 2018
- 'Collecting Shadows Pop Up Exhibition' Stills, Edinburgh, 2018
- 'New Contemporaries' Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 2018
- 'Revolv One Year' Safehouse 1, London, 2018
- 'A Letter in Mind' Gallery @Oxo, London, 2017
- 'ECA Degree Show' Edinburgh College of Art, Edinburgh, 2017
- 'Third Tri-mester' St Margaret's House, Edinburgh, 2016
- 'Touch' Checkpoint café, Edinburgh, 2016